Re: An idea: controlling the order of execution of elisp hook functions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: An idea: controlling the order of execution of elisp hook functions
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:17:06 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Richard Stallman wrote:

>       A simple extension of
>     add-hook could provide a `before' and an `after' feature.
>
> It already has that feature.  That is what the APPEND argument does.

APPEND will only do what I had in mind if the hook you want to be
after is already in the current list of hooks.  It will not work if
that hook is added later.

Imagine the situation when foo-hook wants to be after bar-hook but
before baz-hook.  You cannot do this with APPEND, unless the order of
adding the hooks is known in advance.