Re: Line numbers reported by the byte compiler

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Line numbers reported by the byte compiler
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:10:18 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Colin Walters wrote:

> > It is the first line of the function.  That is the only data it can
> > get.
>
> We could modify Fread to optionally return character positions in the
> stream of the components of the form it reads, perhaps by recursively
> substituting every form with (form . position), in the way
> Fread_from_string does.

I never hacked the byte compiler, so I wouldn't know how hard will
that (or any other alternative) be.  I do know that it is very
inconvenient to have a line number point to a place far away from the
real problem.  It makes debugging such problems very hard.

So if there's some reasonable way of making the line numbers more
accurate, I'd appreciate if someone could work on that.