Re: Customize and autoloaded libraries

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Customize and autoloaded libraries
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 11:04:56 +0100

> Defining `defhook' and changing so many hooks to use it is a large
> change.  We have better things to do with our time, and asking users
> to change their code is a burden on them.  I am thoroughly against it.

The change is trivial, and declarations that isn't changed will
continue to work like before.

> Perhaps there is some way that :type 'hook could cause this other
> default value of :initialize.  Is that possible?

It's trivial too.  I just think it will lead to surprising behaviour,
currently defcustom is pretty much equivalent to to defvar, and :type
just specify the UI, not the semantics.  With the change, changing the
UI will also modify the semantics.

Not all hooks use :type 'hook (sometimes we know something that allows
us to user a better UI), and I even think I have used :type 'hook for
something that wasn't a hook because I wanted the same UI.