Re: completing-read in E21

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: completing-read in E21
Date: 06 Dec 2001 22:09:25 +0100

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> > So I don't see any reason for deprecating/removing the feature which does
> > have very useful purposes - and there is code depending on it!
> > OTOH, I don't disagree that its use in general should be avioded.
>
> I might be mistaken but I don't think we want to remove the
> feature.

Ok, but in my experience, "deprecated" usually implies that
things will be removed in a later release, and that new code
should not use the feature.

>         I agree that your example shows a case where it can
> be useful to provide an initial-input, but you have to agree
> that this is not a typical use of completing-read.

I fully agree, and I have simply been suggesting to change the
doc string to say that using INITIAL-INPUT is not recommended in
general - rather than saying it is deprecated.

> Better yet.  You could get the same behavior without using
> an initial-input: do the switch (from buffer to file or vice-versa)
> inside completing-read.

I have been considering this, but I need to change the prompt when
I switch modes   (and I use the initial-input for a few other tricks
as well), so it is more complicated than that.