Re: [emacs-bidi] diacritics, ligatures, etc.

From: Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] diacritics, ligatures, etc.
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 14:14:33 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Should we make this part of the Hebrew input method, then?
>
> Actually, I'm not sure this kind of magic should be done by the input
> method; should it?  What about inserting a diacritical via some other
> way?

I think that it should be put to use, but definitely not as part of input
methods. We want the display to be correct for read files, mail messages
etc.

The most logical place would be somewhere in the display code.  Emacs
"should know" that the diacritics are usually not stand-alone but should
go with the preceding character.  Maybe the categories in
lisp/internaltional/character.el has something to do with this, I'll
look into these sometime later.

I think that some the Indic scripts also have this property, but I'm not
too familiar with them.