Re: [emacs-bidi] debugging visual-to-logical

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] debugging visual-to-logical
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:51:57 +0330 (IRT)

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 22:01:59 +0330 (IRT)
> > From: Behdad Esfahbod <address@hidden>

> > > In what implementation of UAX#9 did you see this, and what type did
> > > that implementation assign to the upper-case letters and the digits?
> > > Especially the AN vs EN and AL vs R is important.
> >
> > It was the Reference Implementations output, with A-F as AL and G-Z as
> > R, also 0-5 as EN and 6-9 as AN
>
> Didn't you (or someone else) just say that the reference
> implementation has incorrect definition of the type of `-'?

The definition is not incorrect, but just differenet from Unicode's
types, this is the list of differences:

\x00-\x1f:
CapRTL:
  ON, ON, ON, ON,LTR,RTL, ON, ON, ON, ON, ON, ON, ON, BS,RLO,RLE, /* 00-0f */
 LRO,LRE,PDF, WS, ON, ON, ON, ON, ON, ON, ON, ON, ON, ON, ON, ON, /* 10-1f */
  WS, ON, ON, ON, ET, ON, ON, ON, ON, ON, ON, ET, CS, ON, ES, ES, /* 20-2f */
Unicode:
  BN ,BN ,BN ,BN ,BN ,BN ,BN ,BN ,BN ,SS ,BS ,SS ,WS ,BS ,BN ,BN ,
  BN ,BN ,BN ,BN ,BN ,BN ,BN ,BN ,BN ,BN ,BN ,BN ,BS ,BS ,BS ,SS ,
  WS ,ON ,ON ,ET ,ET ,ET ,ON ,ON ,ON ,ON ,ON ,ET ,CS ,ET ,CS ,ES ,

And:
Char    CapRTL  Unicode
-----------------------
6-9     AN      EN
@       RTL     ON
A-F     AL      L
G-Z     R       L
\       BS      ON
`       NSM     ON
|       SS      ON
~       WS      ON

As you see it's much easier to test types like AN, AL, BS, NSM, SS,
RLE, LRE, RLO, LRO and PDF with CapRTL rather than Unicode, or your
variant, then we decided to use this for test porpuses in fribidi.

--
Behdad
30 Aban 1380, 2001 Nov 21

[Finger for Geek Code]