edu-eu

Re: [edu-eu] Free software in universities

From: Guido Arnold
Subject: Re: [edu-eu] Free software in universities
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 17:11:04 +0200

Hello JJ,

On 10 October 2013 21:58, JJ Merelo <address@hidden> wrote:

> This is JJ Merelo, I head the Free Software Office at the University of
> Granada http://osl.ugr.es AFAIK, free software offices are a mostly Spanish
> phenomenon which are rarely found outside; I know about OSU-OSL in Oregon
> and a few more in the USA, but not any one in Europe. I would be interested
> in contacting official (or not) free software labs or offices in other
> European universities, mainly for networking and, who knows, apply for
> funding to create OS curricula, migration methodologies and whatever arises.

I like the idea of networking and jointly applying for funding very
much! What excactly do you mean by "FS offices"?

I searched for the string "university" in our link collection [1] and
found the following links, but you may go through the list or search
for something else to find more.

The University of Nice published a software under GPL, so I could
imagine that they use Free Software elsewhere:
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/news/university-nice-publishes-e-learning-system

The University of Verona should be done with their migration by now:
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/news/it-university-verona-moving-open-source-desktop

The The Lisbon University Institute (ISCTE-IUL) offers a master course
on open source software. Maybe their offices run with Free Software as
well:
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/news/pt-university-offer-open-source-software-master

There are several articles from Romania stating that their
universities "embrace" Free Software. In this article, the Politehnica
University of Bucharest is mentioned to use Ubuntu GNU/Linux:
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/news/ro-universities-start-embracing-open-source-software
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/news/romanian-and-moldovan-schools-and-universities-eager-use-open-source

And the Berlin Art college switched to FS as well:
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Berlin-art-colleges-switch-to-Linux-742209.html

For possible projects to join, you may check the JoinUp database:
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/software/all
or add something you would like other universities to join.

I am sure this is not even the tip of the iceberg, but that's what we
got aware of so far. If anybody has something to add, please let me
know! :)

Greetings,

Guido

[1] http://wiki.fsfe.org/Education/FS_usage_Link_collection

--
Guido Arnold                       Free Software Foundation Europe
http://blogs.fsfe.org/guido     []         Edu team & German team