dvdrtools-users

RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: creating an iso from bz2 file 3.5 GB ( Solved

From: Bryan J. Smith <address@hidden>
Subject: RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: creating an iso from bz2 file 3.5 GB ( Solved !!! )
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 09:29:21 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

From: Vijay Kumar <address@hidden>
> Hi,
> The whole solution to write a dvd on linux using the cdrtools and the
> dvdrtools is like this:
> a) Get the cdrtools-2.01.tar.gz and the dvdrtools-0.2.1.tar.gz
> b) We need the cdrtools to create and .iso file without which nothing can be
> written on the dd. The input file has to be a iso. We need this version to
> create a bigger iso file probably greater than 2 GB.

If I'm reading this correctly, then you're saying the current dvdrtools-0.2.1
(forked from cdrtools-1.1x IIRC) doesn't come with such a capable mkisofs
as to create an ISO9660 Yellow Book track image (.iso file) bigger than
2.1GB (2GiB) -- at least on a POSIX32 system (like Linux/x86)?

Please confirm.

> c) The dvdrotools contain a cdrecord-prodvd with a key which is free for
> home/educational purposes.

???  Now hold on.  There is a huge difference between the GNU "dvdrtools"
(a fork of Jorg's cdrtools-1.1x) and "cdrecord-proDVD" (Jorg's cdrecord 2.x
with DVD support).  Which one did you use?

AFAIK, the GNU "dvdrtools" project cannot legally redistribute cdrecord-ProDVD
with the "free for private use" key.

> Create a symlink for the cdrecord-prodvd-2.01b31......linux-gnu  to
> cdrecord-prodvd in the directory where we
> unzip it, run the cdrecord-wrapper.sh command with the required options.

Also note you can just copy the one line with the actual environmental
variable that sets the key (put "export" in front of it) and put it in
"/etc/profiles" so it's available for any user on the system.

Just to review, there are at least 4 versions of CDRecord (actually, there are
2 others as well, but I won't get into them):

1.  cdrecord (part of cdrtools):  Jorg's GPL mkisofs, cdrecord, etc... 2.x
2.  cdrecord-ProDVD:  Jorg's cdrecord 2.x with DVD support
3.  dvdrecord (part of dvdrtools):  GNU's fork of cdrtools 1.1x with DVD support
4.  cdrecord+DVDpatch:  DVD recorder info patch for Jorg's cdrecord 2.x

#1 only does CD-R (and CD-RW emulated at CD-R) on its own.
#3 is what this list is all about, and complements #1 in some distros, but
works with not much beyond Pioneer-branded DVD-R/RW drives.
Many GPL distros are now shipping #4 (a patch atop of #1 so it is always
current), and works with many DVD-R/RW drives (including -RAM base).
AFAIK, there is no legal way to redistribute #2, you must get it from Jorg,
but he does support the widest array of drives.

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:address@hidden