dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] DVD with Joliet?

From: Alan Dayley
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] DVD with Joliet?
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 17:03:09 -0700

I am having a nightmare of a time creating a DVD that will play properly.
Testing on 5 players shows at least 2, sometimes 3, that will not play
the DVD.

I have a DVD-R that was created on another system last year and works
flawlessly with all 5 players.  I have compared it's content with the
disc I have made.  The only difference I can see is that the DVD that
works reports "Joliet with UCS level 3 found" in the output of "isoinfo
dev=/dev/dvd -d".

The "-dvd-video" option of mkisofs ensures that the VIDEO_TS.IFO file of
the DVD is the first file available and that all the other files are also
properly sorted.  However, if this option is set and the "-J, -joliet"
option is also set, "-dvd-video" disables the Joliet extension
generation.  Attempting to use the "-sort FILE" option along with
"-joliet -udf" in an attempt to duplicate "-dvd-video" with Joliet has
failed to get the files sorted properly.

So, my questions really are this:

1. Is there any reason to believe that some DVD players will fail to play
a DVD without Joliet extensions or am I chasing a red-herring.

2. If Joliet can effect play of DVDs in some players, how do I use mkisofs
to create a properly sorted DVD .iso with said extensions?

3. If I am asking the wrong list for this information, please tell me to
buzz off.  A pointer to the right venue would also be appreciated.

Alan