Re: [Duplicity-talk] gpg backup corruption

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] gpg backup corruption
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 19:16:58 +0200

>      raise IOError, "GnuPG exited non-zero, with code %d" % (e << 8)
> IOError: GnuPG exited non-zero, with code 131072
>
> When running with debug output, it always spits a "invalid packet
> (ctb=14)" before crashing.
>
> I am not sure whether this can be fixed, but I'd like to see the
> possibility to ignore the faulty incremental backup (or remove it) to
> try to recover things. Unless I have missed something, it seems to me
> the only possibility is to perform a full backup again...

Short of manually removing exactly the right files, I believe a full
backup is the only option.

However, I do wonder if the problem truly is corruption. I am not sure
of your situation, but I have to wonder whether there is a problem
somewhere other than a random bit flip. Does it seems likely in your
situation that you actually had corruption after the file was
originally written?

(I have it on my todo/wishlist to implement support for forward error
correction to account for cases of actual bit flips and the like, but
no such thing yet...)

I don't know the part of the code that does all the tarfile/rdiff
handling well enough to have a good gut feeling what the most likely
problem would otherwise be.

Do you know if the previous backup failed in some particular fashion
that might account for leaving bad files around? Or did the previous
backup, prior to the above error being seen, complete successfully?

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to address@hidden