Re: [Duplicity-talk] FTP error

From: Ryan Puckett
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] FTP error
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:06:01 -0700

Adam Dixon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Adam Dixon wrote:
>>
>>> <snip>
>>> Cmd: CLNT NcFTPPut 3.2.1 linux-x86_64-glibc2.7
>>> 500: CLNT not understood
>>> Cmd: PWD
>>> 257: "/" is current directory.
>>> Cmd: CWD backup/t
>>> 250: CWD command successful
>>> Cmd: CWD /
>>> 550: /: Permission denied
>>> Cmd: QUIT
>>> 221: Goodbye.

>> NcFTPPut does the same thing on my system and does not cause a problem,
>> going to ProFTPD 1.3 on a Linux server. You need to make sure the backup
>> user has read/execute permissions on the '/' directory, or set backup as
>> the home directory of the user backup and change the command line
>> accordingly.
>>
>> The issue is with the NcFTP tools, not duplicity itself.  If you set up
>> as described above, you should not have any problems with either.
>>

> Unfortunatly its a lacie, and I have little power over it but a web
> interface, the user certainly has read/write on the /backup dir, just
> not /.
>
> :(

Not really related to duplicity but:

A little googling shows that on many of these devices you are actually
able to turn on a sshd.

Go to https://IP_OF_YOUR_LACIE/ssh_controlF.cgi, turn on the ssh daemon,
then connect to it via ssh using 'root' rather than 'admin' as the login
and the same password that you use for the web interface.

Hope that's useful,
Ryan