Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity Maintenance

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity Maintenance
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 13:47:59 -0500

Travis H. wrote:
On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 08:27:32PM -0500, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
I'll be assuming the reins of duplicity maintenance. Hopefully, I'll have a lot of help from those of you that use it.

Thanks to rsync.net for sponsoring the project. Thanks to Ben Escoto for initially authoring duplicity and thanks to all the rest that have submitted improvements and administered the project in the past.

Out of curiousity; is this a paid position?

I wish. There is a bounty once I get the work done, the first part of which I hope to finish this weekend.

I was sort of interested in it but have bills to pay.

Ditto, plus having to start up a new company since Team 2 came in to my last startup company and kicked out Team 1. I expected it. I've pretty much always been Team 1 all my life, so Team 2 can have the customer support and other nightmares associated with their change from a web-based service on Linux to a Windows based desktop product.

(Alas, my landlord does not take "kick ass software" as payment)

I plan on getting a new version of duplicity released fairly soon with the current patches (that work), plus some bug fixes. Feature requests that weren't covered in the patches will be considered for a subsequent release. The plans are being firmed up now and I should have more to tell you in the next week or so. I'm still settling in.

Some thoughts I've collected;

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1650

See the VFS stack stuff in here and think of reading stuff inside
an archive of some kind.

The very nature of the process 'tar | gzip | gpg' precludes random reading of the archive. Any change to another format would be a rather major development effort.

Unix filter for adding redundancy (to tolerate errors in files)
like .par but evenly distributed throughout the file (so no
distinction between redundant data and plaintext; it's all
welded together) to be used with tar, duplicity, etc.
Basically a pre and post-processor for dealing with bitrot

After 35+ years working this field, I'm still not a believer in bitrot, except on certain popular OSes that tend to eat their young. I would think a good set of checksums should be able to check for corruption, but that would require executing something on the remote server, somewhat like a P2P client does.

Besides, as you said, it could be a filter, applied after duplicity. If someone were to supply such a filter, then a backend for that filter would be easy. I think that filter should probably be its own project.

use bz2 library in python (bzip2 compression)

Good idea. bzip2 is slower than gzip, but this is a backup program and does not need to be a speed demon. Would save some space.

--no-deltas - don't transfer deltas, transfer entire file (the same as
rsync -W i believe)

What you want is the equivalent of an incremental backup. That's possible, but if if you plan your backup strategy to do full backups on a reasonable basis, then there should be no file out of date by more than a week or so, even if an incremental is corrupted somehow.

--dry-run - to see what would be done but not act on it (rsync -n, and
not actually compress/encrypt anything either, just report what's
changed)

Hmmm, not a bad idea.  Let me think about it for a bit.

--max-size to tell duplicity how big of archive files to create
(basically the "filesize" variable in the GPGWriteFile and Gzfile or
whatever stuff)

Possible.  Is there a real need for such a change?