Re: [Duplicity-talk] Restoring a deleted file when not knowing, when it

From: Alexander Skwar
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Restoring a deleted file when not knowing, when it was deleted
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 14:46:12 +0200

Kenneth Loafman schrieb:
> Alexander Skwar wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I'm having a look at Duplicity 0.4.2 to backup my server. One thing I
>> did not yet figure out is, howto restore a deleted file, when it's not
>> known, when the file has been deleted.
>>
>> Suppose the following testcase:
>>
>> mkdir ~/backup /tmp/store
>> cd ~/backup
>> touch file1 file2
>> duplicity ~/backup file:///tmp/store
>> rm file1
>> duplicity ~/backup file:///tmp/store
>
> Thanks for the detail.
>
>> Now I'd like to restore file1, but I do NOT (want to) know, when
>> the file has been deleted. I'd like to get it back at its "latest
>> version", so to say.
>>
>> How would I do that?
>>
>> address@hidden ~ $ duplicity --file-to-restore file1
>> file:///tmp/sicherung file1
>
> I'm guessing this is a typo - you used /tmp/store above.

Yep, you're right. Stupid copy'n'paste error on my side.

>> GnuPG passphrase: Retype to confirm: file1 not found in archive, no
>> files restored.
>>
>> This did not work, as it seems.
>>
>> What's the correct way to do this?
>
> There  is no way to say 'restore the latest' version of the file,

This sucks :(

> however, if one enters the command:
>
> $ duplicity -t 1D --file-to-restore file1 file:///tmp/store file1
>
> duplicity will correctly restore 'file1' from your example above.

Yep. But it'll restore it from the backup 1D before. There might
be more recent versions :(

> In
> the man page, under TIME FORMATS, there is a complete list of formats
> duplicity will accept.  The '-t 1D' told duplicity to look at most one
> day back for file1.  Leaving that out means to only look at the most
> recent backup.

Yep, understood. Thanks.

> To find out how far back to go may take a few tries.  Go back a week, if
> the file exists, go forward 3 days, then forwards by 1 day increments
> until it does not exist.  Do similarly for month/week/day increments.

Yikes...

Is it possible to get a list of all the backups that have been taken and
also get a list of all the files that have been part of this backup?
So, is it possible to get a listing of all the files that are part of
the backup taken 3D ago?

Thanks,

Alexander Skwar