Re: [Duplicity-talk] Restoring a deleted file when not knowing, when it

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Restoring a deleted file when not knowing, when it was deleted
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 07:33:43 -0500

Alexander Skwar wrote:
Hello.

I'm having a look at Duplicity 0.4.2 to backup my server. One thing I
did not yet figure out is, howto restore a deleted file, when it's not
known, when the file has been deleted.

Suppose the following testcase:

mkdir ~/backup /tmp/store
cd ~/backup
touch file1 file2
duplicity ~/backup file:///tmp/store
rm file1
duplicity ~/backup file:///tmp/store

Thanks for the detail.

Now I'd like to restore file1, but I do NOT (want to) know, when
the file has been deleted. I'd like to get it back at its "latest
version", so to say.

How would I do that?

address@hidden ~ $ duplicity --file-to-restore file1 file:///tmp/sicherung file1

I'm guessing this is a typo - you used /tmp/store above.

GnuPG passphrase: Retype to confirm: file1 not found in archive, no files restored.

This did not work, as it seems.

What's the correct way to do this?

There is no way to say 'restore the latest' version of the file, however, if one enters the command:

$ duplicity -t 1D --file-to-restore file1 file:///tmp/store file1

duplicity will correctly restore 'file1' from your example above. In the man page, under TIME FORMATS, there is a complete list of formats duplicity will accept. The '-t 1D' told duplicity to look at most one day back for file1. Leaving that out means to only look at the most recent backup.

To find out how far back to go may take a few tries. Go back a week, if the file exists, go forward 3 days, then forwards by 1 day increments until it does not exist. Do similarly for month/week/day increments.

...Thanks,