[Duplicity-talk] Sigh

From: JonathanSmith
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Sigh
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 16:33:56 -0400

I was hoping for some competency, so that it would be unnecessary to subscribe to yet another list. No such luck, so now I have to ask for help. I currently am being prompted "Enter passphrase for key '/root/.ssh/id_rsa':" for each segment of a backup that goes to the backup server.

How can I avoid this frustration so that I can can have automated remote backup with duplicity? And, please, before making recommendations on changes to the backup server, please note that I lack such access.

It had looked good <http://jcwinnie.biz/wordpress/?p=910> I followed the instructions from Carlos Justiniano <http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-backup/?ca=dgr-lnxw09Backup#Resources> on how to achieve automated backups of a Linux system via a distributed network using secure remote access. I wrote a script and thought that I had configured successfully the system so as to avoid prompting for either my remote access password or gpg passphrase. <http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/duplicity-talk/2005-02/msg00000.html>

Backup ran for about 35 hours and then stopped without indication of a successful full backup. Today, I ran the script again and received the following message: "Warning, found incomplete backup sets, probably left from aborted session
No signatures found, switching to full backup."

It has begun transfer of segments, yet I am prompted each time for a password. I think this comes under cruel and unusual punishment of my stupidity. In any case, I would appreciate your help.

I depend upon rdiff-backup for backing up system files to a separate hard drive on the same system and wanted the extra insurance of having a remote copy.