dotgnu-pnet

Re: [Pnet-developers] IL tree dump routine

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] IL tree dump routine
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:00:09 +1000

On Sunday 24 October 2004 09:17 am, Peter \"Firefly\" Lund wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, Rhys Weatherley wrote:

> > I assume that you are referring to the tree nodes in the compiler.  Such
> > a feature does not exist.
>
> If I wrote one, would it then have a chance of being committed?

It would depend upon how clean/simple it was, just like all patches.  The best
way would be to add an "ILNode_Dump" operation to the treecc definition.

One thing we want to avoid is creating a dump format that can be used to
export the entire contents of the tree to external tools.  That would allow
people to circumvent the GPL by adding their own back ends that process the
dump format rather than link against the main compiler code.  (Theoretically,
anyone could add such a dump format anyway if they really wanted to, but we
don't want to make it easy for them).

So, debug code is OK as long as it is just debug code.  Semantic richness in
the output format would be bad though.

Cheers,

Rhys.