dotgnu-pnet

Re: [Pnet-developers] ILTypeIdentical

From: Simon Posnjak
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] ILTypeIdentical
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:38:37 +0200

V pet, 22.10.2004 ob 11:00 je Miroslaw Dobrzanski-Neumann napisal(a):
> The assumption here is that structs are always at least 4 byte aligned (on
> each platform). Based on this assumption the two lower bits of an address are
> reused for storing metadate about the pointer. There is no way to fix it with
> reasonable effort. So you must participate and move the two bits somewhere
> else in the *safe* part of the pointer modifying the definitions in
> include/il_types.h

Well that assumption could be considered a bit broken. What if I would
move this metadata to 8-15 bits (0-7 would stay kinds of complex types)
of kind__ filed or if I add another filed to _tagILType to store this
metadata - If I understand this metadata storing business correctly I
would only have to modify the macros in include/il_types.h file to make
it work and nothing else?

If you think this would be such a big performance penalty, then I can
make it configurable through configure so people can choose which one
they would like to use...

Comments? Flames? Suggestions? All are welcome...

                Regards Simon