Re: [DotGNU]Resend: A DotGNU-Contrib project

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Resend: A DotGNU-Contrib project
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 08:02:46 -0700 (PDT)

 The
> idea that crystallised has been a sort of like CPAN
> , a single project
> that hosts the whole dotgnu extension libraries .
Yes that is a good idea.

>       I would like a bit of feedback on this , because
> this would mean
> that new libraries will be easily added and
> maintained . We may even
> be able to keep the whole repository indexed on
> dependencies.

We should have it running over some XMLRPC interface
on top of JABBER/SMTP/HTTP . Each person publishs
projects to the server or to anyone who needs them via
a transport. If you update a module, it can be pulled
for testing directly from you. Basically each person
will have a mini repository of shared modules where
they can test and report updates. The COOPX exchange
format can be used to interchange project data.

I have been playing with some debian sourceforge
stuff, it should be possible to have a sourceforge sub
package for each subproject and a release system all
via a CPAN like interface. I cannot recommend setting
up your own sourceforge/savannah server, but I do
think that a scaled down mini server and client
possible to do using that technology.

One of my stumbling blocks is the jabber, the anon cvs
is broken and I have written to like 15 people asking
if there is queuing interface supported an where I can
use. There has been no feedback.

If you want to support jabber, then please mirror it
on the savannah site, or provide a reliable cvs access
and a bug tracking system. It seems like they have a
real good marketing department, but I cannot seem to
find the goods!!!

Mike

=====
James Michael DuPont