[DotGNU]interview with rhys and others

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: [DotGNU]interview with rhys and others
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:48:12 -0700 (PDT)

You might have seen this on the mono list:
http://www.devx.com/free/hotlinks/2002/ednote061902/ednote061902n.asp

Contains lots of good Quotes from Rhys,
DotGnus one-man army!

One quote I found from Microsoft interesting
[SNIP]
Q. What has been your biggest frustration with this
project up to this point?

Microsoft's Stutz:
We've been quite happy with this [SSCLI] project in
general; my biggest frustration has been the guarded
attitude with which some people in the open-source
community have taken towards our project. We are
sincerely trying to promote adoption of the CLI. That
seems straightforward.
[SNIP]

[SSCLI] = Shared Source CLI, the one that tries to cut
out the GPL

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdn-files/027/001/901/ShSourceCLIbetaLicense.htm
[SNIP]
You may modify this Software and distribute the
modified Software for non-commercial purposes,
however, you may not grant rights to the Software or
derivative works that are broader than those provided
by this License. For example, you may not distribute
modifications of the Software under terms that would
permit commercial use, or under terms that purport to
require the Software or derivative works to be
sublicensed to others.
[SNIP]

"under terms that purport to require the Software or
derivative works to be sublicensed to others." = GPL?

So they forbid its widespread use,
try and out GPL, and then wonder why noone is
interested?

Mike

=====
James Michael DuPont