Re: [DotGNU]extension APIs (was Re: [Website]Preparing for dotgnu meet-a

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]extension APIs (was Re: [Website]Preparing for dotgnu meet-a-thon)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:24:32 +0530

If memory serves me right, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> > Sorry, Gopal, I have qualms with libxml# :( though it's a nice holdover
> > until System.Xml is done.

Actually , I was experimenting on how to wrap an API ...
libxml2 was just by chance the chosen library. (available,easy)

The existance (or non existance) of System.Xml had nothing to
do with it . I was just wrapping a "simple to wrap" library.

> Both have their place.  System.Xml is OK for run
> of the mill XML work, but not heavy-duty work.
> I don't think we should discourage either effort.

Actually I was of the opinion that libxml# should have a
wrapped API like System.Xml , so that you could switch
libs just by changing the "using System.Xml" to "using DotGNU.Xml".

But obviously that doesn't sound so easy .... from API POV ..
(So that'll have to wait.. :)

> We do need to be careful not to introduce too many
> dependencies into the "basic kit", but that doesn't
> mean we should stop developing things that augment
> the basics.

I started libxml# as a seperate project to ensure that
nobody adds libxml2 to the dependencies of Portable.Net ..

Gopal