Re: [DotGNU]Market research (was Re: DotGNU FAQ)

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Market research (was Re: DotGNU FAQ)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 17:42:20 -0800 (PST)

--- Norbert Bollow <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Whould this kind of thing be too general at this
> point?
>
> I think it'll never be possible to give a fully
> general answer.
> We'll have to investigate several specific scenarios
> which are
> "typical" in some ways of what people want to do
> with
> webservices.
>
> So we should probably start with some market
> research, to find
> out what will likely become "typical" business
> applications of
> the webservices concept.

That's certainly the golden question, isn't it.  My
answer at this point would be "We have no friggin'
idea."   The conversation I hear are on two tracks.
One is "How are we going to make money on this?"  The
other is "How can we implement business functions with
this?"  The reality of it is that the first question
can only be answered in the context of providing
unique value to the second question.  Just what that
might be is still quite unknown.  We are building the
tools, but how they might be used is still purely
speculative in the same way that the use of the use of
TCP/IP was was speculative in the ARPA net days.