Re: [DotGNU]IM services ?

From: Gary L. Sun
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]IM services ?
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 23:40:18 -0500

Instant messaging with Ip phone capability has been
in progress by various vendors. Standards, as probably
everybody already knows, either VOIP 7xx, 2xx or SIP.
Using directly with RTP ( I am ssuming ccRTP is based on
streaming somehow), sounds close to netmeeting typed
thing. Interactive multimedia through H.323 already been
done by Telecom vendors with digital PBX integrated with
LAN streaming. Most problems are in the routing and
internal bandwidth limitations of xSP and xRAS. VoDSL
is also struggling to surface. If there is a better way
to have some new model implemented, it would be a big
step. Here are some references: openss7.org, kannel.org,
opensip.org, may be there are a few more.

As to gnutella, there is a gnueclus under GNU on
sourceforge, it is windows based, but it performs.

I consder IM is part of web services. The future IM not
only supports multimedia to take advantage of broadband
infrasture but also supports interactivity in call centers.
It has tremendous potential on the consumer side.

VoXML is moving toward this way. xmlsig will provide
security, more efficiently than SSL.

Gary