[DotGNU]Python (was: Defining Webservices => Language)

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: [DotGNU]Python (was: Defining Webservices => Language)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:47:40 +0100

Daniel E Baumann <address@hidden> wrote:
> > more set on python as the language for most things and I am sure how
> > much dotGNU has looked at python.

I hasn't been seriously discussed yet.  However since Python is
certainly a popular language for web-based applications / web
services, and several GNU projects use it, I think that it is
important to provide a good level of support for Python in
DotGNU.

> > I like it more than Java and it doesn't have the same "issues"

Well there was an issue with Python's license being GPL-incompatible
but I believe this has been resolved.

Gopal.V <address@hidden> replied to Daniel's post:

>       Also the Jython project can compile Py to Java class files. As a last
> resort we also have a java based python interpreter , JPython. If they are
> GPL'ed, maybe we could just add a python extension some time in the future.
> But those may cause performance/security concerns.

How does the performance of Python's own run-time engine compare
to compiling Py to Java class files, then compiling those with
gcj and running the resulting Java bytecode with one of the Free
VMs?

Would we gain performance by making Python's run-time engine
available as a plugin for SEE, just like we have plugins planned
already for handling Java bytecode and CLRs?

BTW at some time in the future I expect that there will be yet
another option available, namely to compile Python code to
Parrot (the bytecode for Perl6 which is currently under
development) as I expect that we certainly will want to have a
Parrot plugin for SEE.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com