Re: [DotGNU]Defining Webservices

From: Gopal.V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Defining Webservices
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 20:30:13 +0530

Hi
> GEAS hackers (GNUe Application Server) want to be communication
> agnostic and support whatever anyone wishes to write a "plugin" for be
> it XML-RPC, CORBA, SOAP, etc. and I had some ideas on how we could do
> this it would be a generic wrapper library possibly using ODL (superset
> of IDL) as the interface description so if you support this interface
> you can get whatever method you like just by either using an existing
> plugin for whatever ORB or a plugin for say SOAP, etc.
        I would like to mention that I would like very much if GEAS becomes
a webservice component. Since we need business products to support
dotGNU, we need to work towards uniting GNUe and dotGNU. As I mentioned
in an earlier mail, you chose a plugin glue for joining peices. Since I
think CORBA is the most mature of the glues we have , I mentioned it.
> that object methods can even be implemented in different languages for
> the same object (might be nice to have some core methods in C for
> performance reasons) so this will lead way to a language plugin system.
        Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are server side plugins right ?
We want to communicate objects ( not only method access ) via a webservice,
that is the whole idea of webservice components. I access your GEAS server
and pass my data object to your processing object , getting back my result
object. We are making remote processing practical as well as flexible. So
a SOAP plugin would recieve the request parse it and give the object to the
processor ( GEAS ? ). Then the processor would return the result to the
appopriate plugin.
> This is the "middleware" I envision for GEAS and I want to make it
> generic enough for dotGNU, bonobo, etc.
        Well this plugin system is great as it allows different `transports'
for communication. But I don't think you should think of dotGNU and bonobo
as different aspects, dotGNU is all about integrating protocols. The XML
protocols have an advantage here as we would only need an XSLT & templates.
--
|| GNU RULEZ ||