Re: [DotGNU]What .NET is this?

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]What .NET is this?
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 08:10:15 -0800 (PST)

--- Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I'm not sure about that.  The whole concept of
> > middleware has always struck me as being far more
> > relevant to internal system development where it's
> > variant of the ol' problem of making your network
> > work.
>
> Well, I come from a user interface background, so I
> do
> tend to see things differently. :-)  But I agree
> with your
> view where middleware is concerned.

But isn't middleware what this whole .NET/dotgnu is
all about?  I know there is a great deal of abiguity
involved here, but it has always seemed the the idea
of 'middleware' was the common thread.

> > There's all kinds of interesting new tricks in
> this
> > space.  Some time in the near future, even b2b
> uses
> > may evolve.  However, I am having terrible trouble
> > envisoning a significant use of this for the
> internet
> > enduser.
>
> Java promised to deliver applications to the end
> user
> using applets.  That never took off, in part because
> Sun's
> early implementations ran like a dog, and they
> persisted
> in plugging them into the browser, where they didn't
> belong.  This space may (or may not) get a
> kick-start
> using .NET.

In spite of the speed issue, it was also the first
real market test of the idea of program push to the
general public.  I can appreciate your aversion to the
commodity browser as an interface.  It is most
certainly less than ideal for any one particular
application use, but it does have the unique character
of being ubiquitous.  And the JVM in most browsers of
the time (IE and Netscape) insured the easy ability to
use java apps on the client side.  Perhaps it never
caufgt on because there is little need of it in the
public consumer market.

There is certainly uptake in the internal development
market, and Sun is pushing J2EE as a b2b plateform.