first try to install on Raspberry Pi :-) (4 Pi OS 64Bit))

From: Thomas
Subject: first try to install on Raspberry Pi :-) (4 Pi OS 64Bit))
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 11:53:21 +0200

Hi,

here are my lessons learned due to the installation (tries) on a Raspberry Pi 4 and maybe some thoughts to improve it…

First I have to point out I am totally new to LINUX (Rasbian) and therefore made some stupid „mistakes" …..

So here we are:

Preparing:
1. -  I used the Pi Imager to format the SD-Card with Raspberry Pi OS (64 Bit) on my Mac
2. - Booting/ Installation Pi OS as usual.
3. - As I have learnt  the package of GNUstep on the Debian distro is too old I searched at Github for a Rasbian installation.
4. - Found it  with: gnustep-build  from Patryk Laurent

and then the „learning“ process began.

I choose the script  "build on raspios-2021-10-30 with clang-11“ to stay an experienced lazy macOS mouse clicker… but it didn´t work very well and stopped quickly with a failure (library libxml2 not found etc.)

As a LINUX newbie I did not realise that at least a specific repository has to be defined to get access to the different libraries (not active in the standard installation of Pi OS 64 Bit) for apt (/etc/apt/sources.list).
Which is the right one for Bulseye?
But the necessary packages were not installed. Did it manually.

Here ist the part of installing the dependicies:

"echo -e "\n\n${GREEN}Installing dependencies...${NC}"

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt -y install clang build-essential git subversion \

libpthread-workqueue0 libpthread-workqueue-dev \
libxml2 libxml2-dev \
libffi7 libffi-dev \
libuuid1 uuid-dev uuid-runtime \
libsctp1 libsctp-dev lksctp-tools \
libavahi-common3 libavahi-common-dev libavahi-common-data \
libgcrypt20 libgcrypt20-dev \
libbsd0 libbsd-dev \
util-linux-locales \
locales-all \
libc-dev libc++-dev libc++1 \
libedit-dev libeditline0 libeditline-dev \
binfmt-support libtinfo-dev \
bison flex m4 wget \
libicns1 libicns-dev \
libxslt1.1 libxslt1-dev \
libxft2 libxft-dev \
libflite1 flite1-dev \
libxmu6 libxpm4 wmaker-common \
libgnutls30 libgnutls28-dev \
default-libmysqlclient-dev \
libpq-dev \
libstdc++-10-dev \
gobjc-10 gobjc++-10 \
gobjc++ \
libstdc++-10-doc libstdc++-10-pic \
cmake xpdf libxrandr-dev

"

and this did not install the libraries.

Where is the (my) fault?
The "sudo apt -y install clang build-essential git subversion \“  did not install the packages. Is there a reason?

At the end I installed all the missing libraries manually and Gorm runs now as I can say.

By the way. Does it make sense to change the window manager (How?) at the end ?
As an old Mac user how I handle the usual LINUX apps that they are in the Application Folder on GNUstep? ;-)

Wouldn´t it be great to have an alternativ standard installation with some apps as a choice in the Raspberry Pi Imager application so that a dump user as me could make a ready to go first GNUStep-SD? ;-).

Many thanks to Patryk for the scripts and in advance for your help ….

Best regards
 Thomas