Re: GNUstep is perceived as outdated among other things because of outda

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUstep is perceived as outdated among other things because of outdated screenshots on our website
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 08:07:14 +0200

Hi Lars,

lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de wrote:
I recently had a discussion about GNUstep ( https://www.heise.de/forum/p-40903318/ Google translated: https://www-heise-de.translate.goog/forum/heise-online/Kommentare/Linux-auf-alten-Macs-Intel-Macs-mit-Xubuntu-sicher-weiterbetreiben/GNUstep/posting-40903318/show/?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp )  in which I was asked "What tree have you spent the last 20 years on?“ ( https://www.heise.de/forum/p-40925643/ Google translated: https://www-heise-de.translate.goog/forum/heise-online/Kommentare/Linux-auf-alten-Macs-Intel-Macs-mit-Xubuntu-sicher-weiterbetreiben/Re-GNUstep/posting-40925643/show/?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp )

Since I master German, I read that comment in original. Just calm down, I understand you got touched since your answer was refused, but some writing something like that is not worth your time nor consideration. Someone who admits not having installed GNUstep since 20 years and giving a judgement on a screenshot? come on.
Also, I doubt what he says, because GNUstep works terribly with fvwm2 :) :)

The reason for this was a Netscape logo in one of the screenshots there: http://gnustep.org/images/GWorkspace.jpg

Oh, what a big issue, must reach out to the amabassador, to the president... this is terrible! Actually, the reason behind that is totally different, that icon is not part of GNUstep at all, it came for a while with WindowMaker, click on it and SeaMonkey or Firefox will open. It changed again later and was more a packaging issue of certain distributions.
I was not disturbed by it, since I remember using Netscape.

While it might be great to still support old computers, the message such screenshots send out to the public is devastating. We should present up to date screenshots with the latest of GNUstep in it to avoid such discussions and improve the way we are recognized.

I think you are just a little exaggerating. If someone judges a whole project by an icon inside a screenshot, he is not worth my time: he will be superficial with all the rest of it. Old computers support is great! But in this case you "hast einen Bock geschossen" , it is the computer on my desk and not that old. The Netscape logo is no longer there, it changed by itself with some updates.

"Much ado for nothing". I just hope the person who wrote that comment will not cross my professional life, because I wouldn't like his superficiality.

Riccardo