Re: A window manager written in objective-c: uroswm and gnustep support

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: A window manager written in objective-c: uroswm and gnustep support problems
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 22:20:27 +0200

> Am 14.09.2020 um 21:38 schrieb Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com>:
>

> I don't know if you guys will consider this off-topic, but I feel compelled
> to offer the following information:
>
> On OPENSTEP and NeXTSTEP before it, there was no need for a window manager.
> NSWindow knows how to draw itself, including its decorations/border/etc.  The
> need for window managers grew out of X's original implementation where
> windows were just boxes without decorations.

That is the way mySTEP is working. No window manager needed. There is one
situation where a window-manager had benefits: if an application doesn't call
its runloop you can't move or hide the window. IMHO even Cocoa has something
built into the display server to handle this situation.

>  The real value, in my opinion, of a GNUstep based WM is the ability to
> easily communicate using common protocols.

...and get non-GNUstep applications under control... Thinking of harmonized
(themed) decoration for e.g. Firefox.