Re: A window manager written in objective-c: uroswm and gnustep support

From: Johannes Brakensiek
Subject: Re: A window manager written in objective-c: uroswm and gnustep support problems
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 19:17:09 +0200

Hi Alex,

On 15 Sep 2020, at 16:38, Alessandro Sangiuliano wrote:

Any help is appreciated, also just opinions, discussions and exchange of ideas.

to keep it short: You work is highly appreciated. Your work on rik.theme and graphics from Bertrand make using GWorkspace a joy.

If you plan to further improve that experience and are having fun on the technical part I highly encourage you to keep the good work up. It’s a pity we do not yet have packages to ship that experience (also due to the fact that rik won’t work with libobjc2 v2). But as part of the Nextspace project there is some packaging work done which could be reused.

That said to the technical point of view I’d also like to add that I could a imagine a way of integration of GNUstep apps that works the other way around: If there were a theme and maybe some implementation of desktop frameworks that would neatly integrate GNUstep apps into a Mac like experience like elementary OS I could imagine a great benefit for both GNUstep and fans of that sort of user experience.

So, if you look at screenshots like this: https://elementary.io/images/screenshots/mail.png That could be GNUMail.app as well. One would just have to make it look like this. ;) Same applies to many Cocoa apps which could be ported.

These are just some dreams in a more strategic pattern. I’m able to imagine stuff like that since I saw Rik.theme. So thanks to you. :)

Best
Johannes