Re: Ubuntu freetype link problem PDFKit

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Ubuntu freetype link problem PDFKit
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 15:55:43 +0100

Hi,

Wolfgang Lux wrote:
As Fred mentioned the output of freetype-config is correct (on my Ubuntu 16.04
there's /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu.conf, which makes sure that
libfreetype should be found). If you get linking errors then I'd suspect that
either you haven't installed the libfreetype6-dev package (the .so file doesn't
contain any symbols, they are present in the corresponding .a file, which is
part of the -dev package) or there's an issue with the order of libraries on
the command line.

I checked, and /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu is present in ld.etc.conf (actually in a subdirectory with several configuration files for multiarch support)

I have .so and .a files, as are headers: the dev package is installed.

I can link PDFKit without issues, what I want is to embed the library path into PDFKit, so that subsequently using PDFKit is a matter of linking to PDFKit and not additionally adding -lfreetype That way, a user doesn't have to know about the interals of PDFKit, or in this case GWorkspace or all other apps would need to add -lfreetype when running configure and application build.

Riccardo