Ubuntu freetype link problem PDFKit

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Ubuntu freetype link problem PDFKit
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 14:34:33 +0100

Hi All,

I have trouble using the new release of PDFKit (do not remember the old one) on Ubuntu. The linking flags for freetype are now "queried" this way and this is clean:
LIB_FREETYPE_LDFLAGS := $(shell freetype-config --libs)

It works on BSDs, other Linux distributions, all is fine. On OpenBSD I need a special hack, I need to -r in the library path this way:
ifeq ($(findstring openbsd, $(GNUSTEP_TARGET_OS)), openbsd)
LIB_FREETYPE_LDFLAGS  += -Wl,-rpath=/usr/X11R6/lib
endif

I personally think this is a "bug" in OpenBSD's freetype/config.

On Ubuntu I have a also a similar issue: PDFKit compiles fine, but then it fails to resolve symbols.
The actual library is located in:

/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libfreetype.so

However:
$ freetype-config --libs
-lfreetype

I wonder i there is a bug, like a missing symlink in Ubuntu? or a bug in freetype-config?

I don't have clean workaround like in OpenBSD: I do not know how to guess the actual directory (architecture dependent) and also how to detect I am running on Linux, Isince the TARGET_OS is linux and on other linux systems it works fine.

Any opinions? Any ubuntu experts?

Riccardo