Re: Distribution of gnustep-based software

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Distribution of gnustep-based software
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 18:01:18 +0200

Hi Michele,

Michele Bert wrote:
I need to create a multiplatform gui app, which later has to be
distributed to quite unexperienced users (let me say that way). I
would really like to use gnustep, but I wonder how can I distribute
the program to my friends. When I developed with MFC on Visual C++, it
was sufficient to copy a set of dll: can I do something similar with
gnustep, or is the installation procedure strictly required?

what platforms do you want to distirbute on? As Fred said, you have the option to make a self-contained app on Unix (Didn't try since a long time).

For windows you have several options too:
- try the above method
- package all necessary DLLs and resources inside the app bundle,as a single directory [1] - package the app itself as NSIS so it can be easily installed: this requires you to build against the official windows packages and require them to have them installed, but it makes the installation very "windows like" ans the future uninstallation

Riccardo

[1] as an example: https://github.com/gnustep/gap/blob/master/user-apps/DataBasin/windows_package.sh