Re: Install GNUstep on a fresh Debian Jessie (S1-E2)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Install GNUstep on a fresh Debian Jessie (S1-E2)
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 13:41:52 +0000

> On 29 Feb 2016, at 13:27, Tristan Bellogi <bellogi@orange.fr> wrote:
>
> @Richard
>
> Le 29/02/2016 11:50, Richard Frith-Macdonald a écrit :
>> When installing from source on a system where you had installed packages,
>> there's obviously huge scope for different things conflicting.
> First thanks for the quick answer!
> I working on a fresh Debian installation, only the Objc2 library was
> previously installed.
> Plus as building it, I wasn't warn for any missing GNUstep dependencies...
> Also, If it's not present at the moment I our Make library, AFAIU, as soon as
> I would run configure script here, it would nicely warn my compiler would'nt
> support --enable-objc-nonfragile-abi option, right?
>
>> But, since say you configured and installed gnustep-make and set your
>> .bashrc to source it, you should at least be getting the environment
>> settings you need whenever you start a new window (assuming that bash is
>> running in it).
> ***aware of this, I move customisation of my ~/.bashrc to /etc/profile for
> this improvement to be system wide.

So, in the window you use to configure gnustep-base, what is the value of the
GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES environment variable?
Judging by the content of your earlier email, it should be
/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles
Also, running 'gnustep-config --variable=GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES' should give you the
same result

If that all looks OK, then I guess the log of the configuration attempt
(config.log) is the place to lookm for something going wrong.

> Also in my last post I reproduce the output of: echo $PATH, to show out some
> inconsistencies, the output was:
>
> /home/ylg/GNUstep/Tools:/usr/GNUstep/Local/Tools:/usr/GNUstep/System/Tools:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
>
> Looking at this drive me back to my question about the "missing" ~/GNUstep
> dir.
> How could I have this added to my PATH (/etc/profile) if it doesn't exist in
> my ~/ ?

When you source GNUstep.sh, it will add *all* the standard GNUstep directories
to your PATH.
That doesn't mean those directories necessarily exist, only that they are
likely to exist at some point in the future.
Since you have not yet installed any applications in the user domain, and have
not yet run any applications which need to store information on disk, the
~/GNUstep directory and its subdirectories do not yet need to exist (apps will
create them as and when  necessary).