Re: Plans for ahead

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Plans for ahead
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2015 09:45:41 +0000

I strongly disagree that the large amount of work you propose is a prerequisite for progress.

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015, 07:54 Maxthon Chan <xcvista@me.com> wrote:
I am still on the idea that we should refactor the relationship between libobjc2, CoreBase and Base before forging ahead. This refactor will not only benefit the Opal and GUI rewrite (deprecating Back in the progress), but also allow us to implement Swift at least as an out-of-tree patch set to Apple’s recent release.

Here are some things I think we should do:

1) Move NSObject into libobjc2 and @compatibility_alias Object to NSObject,
2) Allow public headers of Base to be installed before the library itself is built,
3) Move the implementation of toll-free bridged Foundation classes to CoreBase and create a new toll-free bridge mechanism that approximates Apple’s one,
4) Rewrite headers to adopt properties over getter/setter pairs.

The 4 points above give us a similar library layout to Apple’s, opening the doors of Swift integration. Then before porting the WebKit:

5) Finish Opal, taking over what Back used to do.
6) Rewrite GUI on top of Opal and ARC. We can use the iOS-style all-UI-element-backed-by-Quartz here as it does not break the contract and allow easier implementation.

And finally:

7) Port Apple’s version of WebKit over and reimplement the Objective-C wrappers for WebKit, WebCore and JSCore.

Cherries on top:

* UIKit and SpringBoard clones
* SceneKit and SpriteKit, both implemented in direct OpenGL manipulation bypassing Opal, for games
* Steam integration in reimplementation of Game Center. Combining the two above allow game publishers to release their OS X games under Linux over Steam.