Re: ANN: PikoPixel pixel-art editor

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: ANN: PikoPixel pixel-art editor
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 12:10:40 +0100

Hi Josh,

Thank you for taking the time to make this work with GNUstep and for the open
source release.

I’ve added it to the FreeBSD ports collection, it should appear as a binary
package in the next couple of days.  A few things that you could do to make
life easier for people packaging it (also for reference for other developers):

- .zip files are slightly annoying to deal with - .tar.gz or .xz are better

- Having version numbers that are not monotonic means that we need some special
handling (i.e. 1.0 will be after 1.0b5 - it’s easier if you make beta versions
a lower number, e.g. 0.9.5)

- Putting the version number in the download file name (along with the point
above) means that we will automatically detect updates when they appear for
download and packaging a new revision is about 30 seconds of work.

- Packages usually require a paragraph of text describing them (along with a
one-line short summary).  I’ve tried to turn your list of bullets into a
sentence, but having something that can be copied and pasted makes things
easier.

- Not being able to build from the top-level is slightly annoying, and
something that I could have noted before the first testbuild if it had been
possible to browse the source online.

More generally, only having source available as a tarball (no public revision
control system, even read only) makes it hard for people to contribute.

For other people, a few things that were good:

- A single archive for the release.  For projects hosted on GitHub, this is
free and we can ship pre-release versions easily with the auto-generated
tarballs.  Projects that are not hosted on something like GitHub and don’t do
regular release tarballs are annoying to package.

- Archive extracts into a directory with the same name as the archive (yes,
some people still get this wrong!)

- License is clearly specified and license file at top level of project.

- Well-specified set of dependencies (would be nice to have this on the web
page as well as the email)

David