Re: ANN: PikoPixel pixel-art editor

From: Josh Freeman
Subject: Re: ANN: PikoPixel pixel-art editor
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 18:06:43 -0400

Hi Fred,

On Sep 19, 2015, at 7:20 AM, Fred Kiefer wrote:

Hi Josh,

thank you very much for porting this great code over to GNUstep.

I am at the moment trying to get it running on gcc with the gcc objc
runtime. I know this isn't the supported constellation, but I would like
to at least understand what features are missing in this setup.

PikoPixel's implementation of method-swizzling doesn't work with the gcc runtime because the runtime's function, class_replaceMethod(), behaves differently than on the objc2 or Apple runtimes. That's the only issue I know of (though I didn't test much further on gcc after finding it), so in theory, a reimplementation of method-swizzling (in NSObject_PPUtilities_MethodSwizzling.m) that removed/reworked the class_replaceMethod() calls could allow PP to use the gcc runtime.

I parallel I am digging through your GNUstep specific changes. I already
found the NSMatrix additions and the cairo non-anti-alias stuff. I am
going to add code into GNustep that supports this to make specific
additions for GNUstep unnecessary. In theory it should be possible to
just reuse your Cocoa code on GNUstep. Where this isn't possible, please
file a bug report against GNUstep, preferable with an attached patch.

I kept an internal list with brief, 1-to-2-line descriptions of issues (now at about 17 items) that needs to be expanded into full bug reports on savannah when there's time - I wrote one up so far: http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?45442 . I'd be happy to send the raw list to you - or post it to the developer mailing list - if that would be useful.

Once again thank you and I will keep you updated on my progress.

   Thanks, please do!

Cheers,
Fred

Cheers,