Re: Gorm thoughts for the future...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Gorm thoughts for the future...
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:19:01 +0200

Lundberg, Johannes wrote:
How about GCode :)

Personally I was very happy when interface builder finally was integrated into Xcode. It made building iOS apps so much easier, faster and more convenient.
Think the Unix way. And the Next-step way continues that to the GUI paradigm. One tool for a task and make them cooperate well together. That way, you can use only one tool if you need one, or replace one tool in the chain! Apple disregards that and errs, in my humble opinion.

If I develop command-line tools, I don't need Gorm at a..

If I click on a Gorm file from PC, voilà it opens on PC! But I can also open it from the Workspace or even from the console.

I actually find it extremely convenient that in GS i can build and work from the console, selectively open files.
I haven't really tried Gorm yet but reusing code from PC and Gorm to make GCode sounds like a good idea :)

I mean absolutely no disrespect to PC or Gorm but if we are to attract new developers more easily I think GCode is necessary (perhaps together with an GNUstep desktop distribution). An Xcode like editor so that people from iOS/OSX can start developing using GNUstep and find it intuitive and easy to use. Am I the only one who think this?
I like the current setup though! I don't think we should copy Apple's decision even in the user-interface and application look choices? It may attract new users, of course... but perhaps make others unhappy. The solution of course would be to have more than one IDE, possibly reusing components, but that means an additional development and maintenance burden. Several different

I dislike the quality of our current tools, the bugs and the missing features. But I like the freedom they give, I love for example that I can very easily set-up a project with PC, but then while debugging and coding, just use a terminal with "make" and Emacs.

Riccardo