Re: Emacs and GNUstep

From: Charles Philip Chan
Subject: Re: Emacs and GNUstep
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2014 21:39:23 -0400

Robert Slover <rjslover@me.com> writes:

Hi Robert:

> I have the same misgivings about Emacs+GTK. What a disaster. I don't
> use many GUI features in Emacs but it is kind of nice to have mousable
> menus for less-often-used features and those without key
> bindings. Both the older XEmacs and Emacs distributions on our Solaris
> systems are quite usable and fast - but our RHEL systems are faster
> than our Solaris boxes in almost every aspect - until I launch Emacs
> and have to contend with it - slow enough to launch that I might as
> well be launching Eclipse,

I don't know what your problem is. An Emacs compiled with GTK with a
simple config takes 3 seconds to launch on an old Core2 Duo machine (I
just timed it). However, the launch time does grow exponentially as your
config becomes more complex (my personal config is over several thousand
lines spread across several files). This is why people either start a
headless instant of Emacs server with:

,----
| emacs --daemon
`----

or have a permanent frame and have:

,----
| (server-start)
`----

in their init file. In both cases creating a new frame by using
emacsclient takes less than 1 second.

>  and menus that are so slow to paint that I've often made the mouse
> motion to navigate to where I know the menu selection will appear -
> only to find that GTK got the events indicating my mouse moved right
> of the top-level menu before the destination menu was ever mapped, so
> thinks I've moused away and just removes the top level menu - so I
> have to start over and slow down on the retry.

Again I don't know what your problem is. I have been compiling my emacs
with gtk2 since emacs 23 and my menus have always been snappy. The only
reason why I am still using gtk2 is because there is a Nesedah theme.

However, I agree that the GNUstep version of Emacs is unusable at this
stage.

Charles

--
"The IETF motto is 'rough consensus and running code'"

  -- Scott Bradner (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)