Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Doc O'Leary
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 14:57:25 -0600

In article <mailman.9705.1387494424.10748.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de> wrote:

> My experience with open source is, whenever you come with more than a
> bugfix, you apparently present something like an embarrassment. The word
> apparently received by the already existing community is: "he doesn't
> like what we have and he wants to change things which work just fine for
> us".

Which is a funny thing, too, because if you ask most reasonable
developers to evaluate the work they were doing 5 or 10 years ago, they
would almost universally say it was crap and that they've gotten a lot
better since then.  It is amazing to me that they won't take the extra
step and say "Maybe what I'm doing now is also crap so, yeah, let's see
what can be done better sooner rather than later."

> > Case in point is my root "rant" to this discussion that got dropped:
> >  what *is* the current message of GNUstep?
>
> In the scenario above it's _you_ who defines the message, so this
> problem is solved, too.

I'm not here to usurp GNUstep.  If people want to fight for stagnation,
I'm more then happy to let them win.

> Am 19.12.2013 22:17, schrieb Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller:
> > So there is no overall direction.
>
> Matches my observation. Looks like GNUstep should split into
> sub-projects anyways. Uhm, didn't this happen already? Etoile and
> Darling are distinct, aren't they?

The question/issue remains how they are integrated into the whole.  The
"leadership" issue is expressing how people are supposed to think about
all the different sub-projects.

> Maybe it sounds disappointing to the elder of us, but the decade of big
> unified projects is over. These days everybody works in his own box. The
> last three years I've seen ten times more rewrites from scratch than big
> projects achieving noticeable goals. People don't even try to understand
> existing projects, instead they write their own code.

And, from a scientific perspective, this is not a good thing.

--
iPhone apps that matter:    http://appstore.subsume.com/
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, theremailer.net,