Opal, NSFont, NSFontDescription and AppKit

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Opal, NSFont, NSFontDescription and AppKit
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 19:13:52 +0200

Hi,

Opal and AppKit both contain mutually incompatible NSFont implementations. This means that my attempts to make use of Opal in an AppKit app are failing miserably (and only at runtime).

It may be wise if someone more experienced with both AppKit and Opal would patch this. My current idea boils down to adding the few new ivars into AppKit, and to move any added methods into a category that'd ship as part of Opal.

This would have a bad side effect of making Opal dependent on AppKit or another library that implements NSFont. Since UIKit doesn't contain NSFont, Apple's implementation obviously doesn't depend on NSFont. So, an alternative is to rename Opal's NSFont and explore what APIs would be broken.

What free software currently uses Opal?
--
Ivan Vučica - ivan@vucica.net