Re: FOSDEM Slides

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: FOSDEM Slides
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 18:53:55 +0100

Am 22.02.2012 um 18:42 schrieb Ivan Vučica:

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 18:32, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@computer.org> wrote:

I have finally linked mine on http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/FOSDEM_2012#Schedule

The abstract was:
"QuantumSTEP: new frameworks and future directions
QuantumSTEP is a technology study framework and application suite that is partially based on GNUstep. It aims at consequently using Objective-C on embedded and portable devices. This talk describes the latest additions to the frameworks: CoreLocation, MKMapKit, CoreWLAN, CoreTelephony and demonstrates how they work on the new GTA04 hardware."

Here a direct link:

       http://download.goldelico.com/quantumstep/FOSDEM%202012.pdf

If you have questions to my talk, please feel free to ask...

Nikolaus

Hi!

QuantumStep looks awesome - particularly the way it looks on screenshots!

1. Is the theme compatible with GNUstep themes?

It does not use GSTheme. It is just setting the default colors and adapring some drawing in the  buttons.

2. Are the described frameworks (CoreTelephony, CoreWLAN, MKMapKit, CoreLocation) available with GNUstep, or do they require the rest of QuantumStep?

I think yes. They use the standard Foundation/AppKit (Base/GUI) API.

3. If MKMapKit can work with GNUstep, can it also work with OS X?

Yes. Development is done this way...

4. When UIKit-compatible API arrives on GNUstep, how hard do you feel porting MKMapKit would be?

/* #define UIView NSView */

Well, and changing some NSBezierPath and maybe drawing code to UIBezierPath etc.
Other differences may be in event handling (NSEvent -> UIEvent).

Generally not very complex. The complex thing is getting the coordinate transformations right (and they may still have bugs).

This is really some awesome work, thanks for al lthe awesome work.

Also, a question for Quentin Mathé/David Chisnall regarding Core Object:
From description posted in FOSDEM 2012 talks table, Core Object sounds somewhat like Core Data. What are the main conceptual differences? Will the presentation be available for download?

There is also GSCoreData / DataBuilder.app:

http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GSCoreData

But I think currently nobody is using it.

Nikolaus