Re: Using distributed objects for games

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Using distributed objects for games
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 20:25:43 +0200

2011/9/7 Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@tiptree.demon.co.uk>

Apples documentation doesn't currently apply ... the GNUstep DO implementation was written to match the original NeXT DO API, and classes like NSSocketPort simply didn't exist then, and they don't do quite the same things.
You would need to do quite a lot of work to make the GNUstep implementation details match the Apple ones.

That's ok. There is an NSSocketPort, although I trust it behaves different compared to Apple's implementation.

That being said, since GNUstep is free/open, you could of course write a UDP subclass of NSPort and use that for DO and contribute it.

I just took a look at GNUstep docs, and looks like the primary thing I cannot do is that I cannot feed my own file descriptor to NSSocketPort.

I'm more interested if there is something at the protocol level that prevents using UDP as transmission protocol. Having a lossy protocol is the goal here, and DO depending on return values from the network would prevent that.

But ... using BSD sockets directly would probably be simpler/easier if all you want is to send datagrams for a particular application.

I'm sure it would, but that's so ordinary. ;)

Using ObjC message sends to do actual network message sends would be so much more awesome in a game. For most games, DO over TCP is great. But it would be interesting to see if action games could use the same model.

--
Ivan Vučica - ivan@vucica.net