Re: Using distributed objects for games

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Using distributed objects for games
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 22:30:46 +0100

On 7 Sep 2011, at 20:24, Ivan Vučica wrote:

> So... is there something that would prevent use of distributed objects
> messaging with unreliable transmission protocols such as UDP? :)
>
> On 14/07/2011, Ivan Vučica <ivucica@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm thinking about how one would go about using distributed objects in
>> an action game, and I'd love your input before spending what seems to
>> possibly be a lot of time to make this work, and then being
>> disappointed with the issues that arise.
>>
>> Has someone successfully used distributed objects in situations that
>> do not require successful transmission? I'm looking at Apple's
>> documentation, and it appears to me that most of what I need to do is
>> instantiate a SOCK_DGRAM-typed NSSocketPort and use that as a
>> transmission medium, and then use asynchronous messages. However,
>> there appear to be timeout and other checks involved.

Apples documentation doesn't currently apply ... the GNUstep DO implementation
was written to match the original NeXT DO API, and classes like NSSocketPort
simply didn't exist then, and they don't do quite the same things.
You would need to do quite a lot of work to make the GNUstep implementation
details match the Apple ones.

That being said, since GNUstep is free/open, you could of course write a UDP
subclass of NSPort and use that for DO and contribute it.

But ... using BSD sockets directly would probably be simpler/easier if all you
want is to send datagrams for a particular application.