Re: Objective-C 2 on GNUstep?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Objective-C 2 on GNUstep?
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 17:45:32 +0000

If you go to the front page of the GNUstep site, you will find a convenient
link to the Obective-C 2 FAQ: http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/ObjC2_FAQ

Currently, GNUstep supports all of Objective-C 2 except garbage collection.  If
you want to use the non-fragile ABI (which also provides fast proxy support,
better introspection, and a few other things), then you will need to use the
GNUstep runtime.  Alternatively, you can use the GCC runtime (part of GCC).
GNUstep includes a framework (ObjectiveC2.framework) that supplies the missing
runtime support functions that are required for Objective-C 2 but not
implemented in the GCC runtime from GCC 4.5 and earlier.

As a compiler, you currently have to use clang.  GCC 4.6 will support
Objective-C 2, although you will have to wait for 4.7 for support for the
non-fragile ABI.

David