Re: why RMS not mention GNUSTEP?

From: Jamie Ramone
Subject: Re: why RMS not mention GNUSTEP?
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 13:55:28 -0300

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 10:05 PM, Zhang Weiwu<zhangweiwu@realss.com> wrote:
> Hello. I read articles saying mono is a must for Linux. Reason:
>
>   1. Mono applications are OOP. OOP does GUI better;

Do they say why? "better" is a very subjective term to use. If it's
because, from the engineering point of view, interfaces can be built
in a similar fashion as physical ones then it makes sense to use that
word. Could you please include the reason(s) they give for this? It
would make the analysis of the articles much easier.

>   2. The other OOP choice is QT, Java and python; Mono beats QT in
>      gnome, and beats both java and python in CPU and memory consumption;

This one is confusing. I take it you mean QT and Gnome. What exactly
does it mean that it "beats" them, how? I'm guessing in interface
building tools and API, since just about every one (Johnny Q. Newbie
to G. I. Coder) agrees that QT has the best performance. But it's hard
to compare them when they are very different: one is a freedomwware
.Net replacement, the other two are GUI libs and the last two are
languages.

> I found if these reasons are valid, GNUStep should be the choice instead
> of Mono. Since GNUstep is a GNU project, it's hard to understand RMS
> attacks MONO with mortal but not GNUStep.

While I support GNUstep, I fail to see why it should be preferred to
it (other than personal taste). Now what strikes me as odd is the RMS
attacking Mono, to my knowledge it's also a GNU project (please
correct me if I'm mistaken). So I'd think that RMS might have attacked
.Net or Microsoft instead of Mono. Still, it would be nice if he
mentioned the project a bit more. Could you include some links to the
articles so we can check them out? I didn't see anything of the sort
on Linuxtoday recently and you've piqued my interest with this.