Re: Installing GNUstep on Mac OS X/Intel or Ubuntu

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Installing GNUstep on Mac OS X/Intel or Ubuntu
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 23:55:03 +0100

Torli Birnbauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can you please help me decide which path should I follow to move to
> GNUstep environment. I have a choice to use either Ubuntu i386, or OS X
> (Tiger) on Mac Mini/Intel for my introduction to GNUstep, however I
> found it very disappointing that neither Ubuntu nor my Mac Mini
> platforms are mentioned as supported on your web page.

Hi,

the best path will be to use your Ubuntu install. Debian has many of our
packages, thus you inherit them in Ubuntu. The best step is to install
the appplications you need form the packages.

Go the "compile yourself" route only if you really need. Using the
packages saves you quite some hassle. What do you need GNUstep for?

If you install the gnustep apps, they will show up in the menu of your
windowmanager (I recommend windowmaker, for best compatibility) and they
will just work.

GORM and ProjectCenter are the two applications you need for
development. That should cover most needs and installing them also will
get you all the needed developer packages.

If you need to go the hard-dorute (for example because you need bleeding
edge), our wiki has plenty of information.

Ubuntu is explicitly mentioned, however, I hope you aware that Ubuntu is
essendially a rebranded Debian with a bit of marketing, thus where you
read "debian" everything will apply too.

read here:
http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Platform:Linux

---Riccardo