Re: gnustep debian app developer env setup (help needed)

From: Hubert Chathi
Subject: Re: gnustep debian app developer env setup (help needed)
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:05:26 -0500

EL wrote:
> Thanks David for all these useful info.
> David Ayers-2 wrote:
>>
>> Both gdl2/gsweb should build fine out of the box on both on both Etch
>> and Lenny.  Currently Lenny is still reasonably up to date, yet it's
>> in freeze so that will change gradually.

> I understand now that eventually we have to solve the version
> dependency problems ourselves.

In theory, it should be fairly easy to provide backports for GNUstep
packages in Lenny to keep up to date via backports.org.  In practice,
the GNUstep Debian team is short on manpower, so any help would be
appreciated!

>> Indeed.  And I don't have any experience with gsweb /and/ sope being
>> installed on the same system.  I would assume that there would be
>> conflicts as the provide partially the same API (ie headers).

> Thanks to point out this. I do need 2 machines then.

Or you could probably set up a chroot environment.  Debian some packages
for managing chroot environments, like schroot and dchroot, plus
debootstrap.

> I tried ubuntu8.10 desktop. The package manager has nothing but those
> already installed, which is not really for a gnustep related
> developer.  That's why I asked for a source.list that will match up
> the prequests of gnutep. ...

I'm not sure what you are looking for in a sources.list.  The core
GNUstep libraries are in Debian, so you shouldn't need to add anything
to your sources.list.  You just need to "apt-get install" (er... I mean
"aptitude install") the packages.

> I believe that it should not be too hard to make ubuntu work. Just
> don't know if I go ahead to pull all what I need, I'll end up with a
> system quite different from ubuntu standard. I just not sure. ...

Installing the GNUstep packages should not mess anything else up in your
Ubuntu (or Debian) install.

[...]

>> > Any reasons to convince me that debian is better than other linux
>> > brands in
>> > developing gnustep apps? I see debian uses older kernels, older
>> > packages
>> > than some other linux.

I'm a Debian Developer, so I'm a bit biased but...
Debian uses older versions because those were (more-or-less) current
when Etch was released.  When Lenny gets released, it will have the
GNUstep packages that are (more-or-less) current as-of today.  (I think
that we're behind by a point-release on some of the libraries due to the
freeze, but we're fairly current.)

As far as GNUstep is concerned, Ubuntu should be no better (or no worse)
than Debian unstable, because they just get their packages from Debian.
But they may be better than Debian stable because they release more
often, and they may be better in other aspects of the system.

> Only that it's the distribution that we use (David Wetzel uses
> NetBSD)... But like I said, if you prefer Ubuntu, please try and report
> any issues and we'll try to take care of them ASAP.

If there are any issues in Ubuntu, then they are probably also present
in Debian, and vice-versa.

--
Hubert Chathi - Email/Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)