Re: gnustep debian app developer env setup (help needed)

From: EL
Subject: Re: gnustep debian app developer env setup (help needed)
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:18:21 -0800 (PST)

Thanks David for all these useful info.

David Ayers-2 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 05.11.2008, 20:32 -0800 schrieb Scott Christley:
> Both gdl2/gsweb should build fine out of the box on both on both Etch
> and Lenny.  Currently Lenny is still reasonably up to date, yet it's in
> freeze so that will change gradually.

I understand now that eventually we have to solve the version dependency
problems ourselves.

> Indeed.  And I don't have any experience with gsweb /and/ sope being
> installed on the same system.  I would assume that there would be
> conflicts as the provide partially the same API (ie headers).

Thanks to point out this. I do need 2 machines then.

> I don't see any reason why Ubuntu should not work, yet I have no
> experience about building on Ubuntu.  So there may be some minor initial
> issues but they should easily be resolved.

I tried ubuntu8.10 desktop. The package manager has nothing but those
already installed, which is not really for a gnustep related developer.
That's why I asked for a source.list that will match up the prequests of
gnutep. I believe that it should not be too hard to make ubuntu work. Just
don't know if I go ahead to pull all what I need, I'll end up with a system
quite different from ubuntu standard. I just not sure. I also noticed that
ubuntu installer did great job in probing hardware and autoconfig the
system. I do hope debian can be as good as ubuntu in this aspect.

As a pure English installation, ubuntu is much better in dealling with
foriegn languages(debian browsers still have trouble display asian languages
properly if the related language packages are not installed and correctly
configured)

>> On Nov 4, 2008, at 9:34 AM, Elim Qiu wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm WebObjects-ObjC developer for many years and decide to switch to
>> > debian/gnustep since gnustep, gsweb and sope are really the
>> > platforms to
>> > continue my work.
>> >
>> > I start with a fresh installation of debian etch and found gnustep
>> > need many
>> > newer packages than what etch stable provides. So my questions:
>> > (1) Is there a source.list for all the base env packages that gnustep
>> > needed, so that I can keep updating gcc, gobjc etc along with gnustep
>> > updates?
>
> Nope... currently GDL2 is packaged as gnustep-dl2 yet I'd advise to
> compile from source.
>
>> > (2) Or maybe the way to go is to setup a cvs(svn?) access to check
>> > out the
>> > new releases and update gnustep?
>
> Indeed.
>
> svn checkout http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/gdl2/trunk gdl2
> svn checkout http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/gsweb/trunk gsweb

Thanks for the source info

>> > (3) Is there a check list for all the prequirement of gnustep
>
> These are the packages we install, yet note that we do not install any
> GUI components and I'm not 100%:
>
> build-essentials
> gobjc-multilib
>
> libffi5-dev
> libxml2-dev
> libxslt1-dev
> zlib1g-dev
> apache2-prefork-dev
> postgresql-client

Thanks for these again. I do get the starting point now.