Re: How other OSS projects advertise their stuff

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: How other OSS projects advertise their stuff
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:07:35 -0800 (PST)

Unfortunately,
his
[PortabilityKit][1]
never
got
off
the
> ground.
Part of the reason it never did take off was because it very quickly
degenerated into a very unfruitful discussion over what was "good" and what was
"bad".   What is good and bad?   It's highly subjective.   Also, it represents
a semantic break with how things are done normally.  For example, if I'm a
developer who needs class XYZ and it's in framework A, then I expect it to be
in an analogous framework on GNUstep.   Putting it in another framework and
expecting the developer to then find it and, worse, justifying to the developer
that he/she now has an extra depenedency on yet another library because someone
thought the class he/she is using is "bad" and should be put into the framework
for "bad" classes sounds odd to me.

If we're to be an implementation of the Cocoa API (and that's what we're
shooting towards these days) then we should be that.   While that is not to say
that we shouldn't have our own extensions, when it comes to the core classes we
should

Additionally, I really think it's high time we took complete stock of what's
missing in GNUstep to get us to a point where we can make a statement that we
are at some level of compatibility with Cocoa.

Later, GJC

--
Gregory Casamento -- Principal Consultant - OLC, Inc
# GNUstep Chief Maintainer