Re: SSL bundle

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: SSL bundle
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 14:58:04 +0000

On 8 Feb 2008, at 13:39, Thomas Gamper wrote:

Hi!

I am currently trying to build gnustep from svn. There arose some issues regarding the base library. First the SSL bundle needs a rather new gnutls library, so I downloaded an actual version (2.2.1), built and installed it. Still the configure mechanism failed,

It would be interesting to see logs showing why it failed ... the configure script uses the mechanisms provided by gnutls itsself ... so as long a gnutls is properly installed gnustep-base should find it.

so I deinstalled the gnutls1.3-dev package which came with my Ubuntu. Still the same issue. Adding --disable-tlstest to configure resolved the issue. But the SSL bundle still doesn't build, because it wants to link with gnustep-gui...., I see no reason in that. Additionally I can't find any clue where these dependency comes from.

The 'dependency' (actually there is no real dependency on gui) will be coming from the gnustep-make files. When gnustep-gui is installed it registers itsself in the gnustep-make files so that bundles can be built with it. If gnustep-gui is then manually removed from the system (ie without doing a 'make uninstall' to remove it cleanly) its makefile can be left behind so that gnustep-make tries to link all bundles with it even though it's no longer there.

Try removing $GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES/Additional/gui.make

This seems to happen often enough that it should either be in the FAQ or we should figure out some way for gnustep-make to cope with the situation automatically. We obviously can't depend upon gui being uninstalled cleanly.